8 Apr 2011

Wallpaper

Finally printed the wall paper! 'Bout time!







Again, sorry about the quality, can't scan till they're dry. They do look slightly better than this, promise. It was quite fiddly getting to this stage, and took some time. I had to cut out of the wallpaper, a template of the area where I want the paper pattern to appear.



(Putting my plate onto the hot plate to warm it up and melt the ground onto it so it can be rolled evenly.)

 I then cover this area of the plate with soft ground again, layer the cut out wall paper on the top half of the plate and put it through the press. Next I had to cover (stop out) the lower half of the plate with masking tape, so that this area doesn't etch again. For the fiddlier areas, such as the photo frame and the girls head, I stopped out with varnish. The plate then needed to be placed in the acid bath, once more, for 8 minuets to etch again and be ready for use.


 I only manage to get 3 prints completed, I was aiming for four, however the ones that I now have were successful. The paper pattern works well to create the interior of the room, the elaborate pattern suggests wealth that would be evident within the house, and wealth is partly to blame for the women's rivalry. The wall paper also assists in creating a darker tone to the distant wall. I think the overall effect is a lot neater and efficient than I expected it to be. This process has pushed my understanding of etching, considering I've not been practising etching for long, I've progressed well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment