17 Apr 2011

The print room is my home...

Still very busy! Since last post, I've been working on other final design ideas for my other plates while the print room is closed.








In my head, I have a rough idea of what my next two plates could include. I would love to be able to have a series of six final prints for the degree show (plus the stitched dress). But I am wondering whether I'll run out of time! Just takes so long to prepare the plate, ink it up and take the ink back off before printing. Also adding the wall paper and the aquatint and the stopping out takes up so much time.But I will definitely have at least four final prints, I don't want to have any less.


On Thursday, I prepared my plate for aquatinting, and was ready to start printing these new prints on Friday morning. 


(The aquatinting machine where I coat my plate with dust, letting it settle for 1 minute)



(Me, ready to go! :) )



(I then had to heat the aquatinted plate over a grill until the dust had burnt away.)


(After the plate had cooled, I could begin the stopping out process, etching the plate in acid at different times to achieve different tones)




And finally, print.



(Heres a comparison to my first print and an aquatinted print)


It's come quite a long way!


They worked out really well! For my first go on a large plate anyway. I have learnt from this print however, to not over complicate it. I need to try to limit how many tones I use (how many times I stop out the plate using varnish and then return the plate to acid to etch again.) This is because I became confused as to where to stop out next on my plate, and I lost count of how many times I etched it in the end! The wall paper pattern has actually become less visible. I believe this is because my tones gradually became too dark to show the contrast of the pattern. It doesn't ruin the print though. I need to maybe stick to four tones for my next plate to make sure the overall outcome is accurate and neat. Also to save me from a headache! 
   Oh Pete gave me one of his free tickets he had for a print exhibition in London! Its for next Tuesday to Thursday. I was really excited and keen to go, but not sure if I can now! I don't know London at all and have little common sense! So in order to actually arrive at the exhibition, I need to take my boyfriend with me. I thought I would be able to get our travel quite cheap by looking around, but it looks like its going to cost me around £65 just for travel... I can't afford this right now. What makes it worse is that, on the day that we can actually go, it will have to be cut quite short so I wont be able to stay as long as I would like to. And, like I said, I'm worrying about getting all my prints done, the print room is only open Wednesday and Thursday this week, wanted to use this time for my second plate gahhh, I'm so torn! I really want to go, if only it was at another time. I need to decide soon though because if I'm not going, I will have to send Pete the ticket back so that it's not wasted. Think he was going to go on Wednesday...so want him to get it in time...


Going back to work on my second plate design.

No comments:

Post a Comment