26 Apr 2011

Forgot that I wanted to add thread imprints to my plate as well as the wallpaper. So had to cover my plate in soft ground again and glue the thread in the correct position onto paper ready to press and transfer onto the plate. It was a bit fiddly! But probably ended up being easier to do it separately today than doing it yesterday, at the same time as the wallpaper. So got a few prints done after all that. The thread didn't work as well as I hoped. I thought the plate would pick up the twisting fibres. It didn't. It's just a solid line. But it was probably better than etching the strings with a needle as they'd come out all scratchy.






During the lunch break, I went to Ikea to look at their frames. I've looked on line, but its hard to tell if the frames are deep enough to float mount my prints. There might be one frame suitable. It comes in white and black. Initially, I thought I'd get white frames, just due to personal decorating preference. But I'm now in favour of the black, to relate to the dark side of fairy tales. It could also work well with the dark moody looking ink I've been using. 






I thought they'd have small round fancy frames that I want, like this, but smaller... (this ones rather large, and expensive)






but their not quite the same as I wanted, they only have small rectangular ones, but I'm sure I can find them somewhere. I'd like to use a few of these frames to hang prints of the wall paper i've been using within my prints. I want it to seem like my prints are actually hung up on the same walls that feature within my images. The frames would also hint at the wealth of the family home that is suggested . Derek also said today, that he'd quite like to see me use a display case for my show, to display a few of my etching plates, my rough work out sketches and things, to show how i got to producing the prints. When he was describing which display cases he meant to me, he referred to them as 'the glass ones, like snow white's coffin'. How ironic, that this fits with the idea of marriage as death again. I'd not thought of using a display case before, but I'm now considering placing my dress inside this 'coffin' (if I ever get round to doing it that is!) instead of hanging it in a frame. on on a broken branch. Talking about dresses, I had a quick look around the shops to see what's available. There aren't as many about as I though there would be. And the material isn't suitable for stitching onto. There was maybe one in 'H&M', otherwise I might have to adapt the skirt to a different fabric.


Getting quite excited about presenting the work. First things first though, got to get the prints done!


Was in a bit of a panic today! apparently, I might not be able to continue to work in the print room up until our deadline, (30th May) like I thought I would be.  The current print room is being moved to another location for next year. Jon the technician, said that the print room could be closed two weeks before the 30th, so that they can start packing things up! Was worrying about getting 6 prints done as it is! ahh! Haven't got a definite answer from anyone yet, so I've quickly made another schedule for myself, so that I can hopefully still have a chance at getting it all done :/ eeek.



No comments:

Post a Comment