21 Apr 2011

Second plate

Over today and yesterday, I've etched my new plate, done a few prints and added the wall paper background, ready to print on Tues (another bank holiday on Monday). 




I'm pleased with this plate. I did however try to make the background room (where the mum is sitting, eating the fish) more sinister using shadows. I tried to do this by wiping off less ink from this area of the plate. But there seemed to not be much of a difference in tone once I printed them. I will be able to achieve this when I aquatint though. I hope to have a finished aquatint print by the end of next week.


Derek said that the print looked quite surreal and he gave me some names to look at.


Otto Dix (seen his work before)


Henry Fuseli
The nightmare


Balthus paintings
'Girl and Cat'




Bruno Schulz
'Procession'


Alfred Kubin
'The Lady on the Horse'






I love these, especially Kubin's, just because there so bloody weird/ freaky that they're interesting. Could keep posting more of Kubins, but I think I should stop myself now! (The shadowing in Kubins is also very atmospheric!)



O I finished another of Carter's books on Monday, 'The Magic Toy Shop'. (CARTER, A., 1981. The Magic Toy Shop. London: Virago Press.)






 I started it a while ago, but stopped reading for a bit because of my work load. I got to pick it up again over the long weekend though. Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed by it as I hoped. It was based on toys and the idea of a man controlling his women within the family like he controls his puppets that he makes. In fact, his wife is 'dumb', she was a lively Irish girl, but lost the ability to speak when she married him. It's an interesting theme, and obviously I wanted to read it because, as the blurb indicated, it would relate to my project (women as puppets, control, marriage as death, bla bla blaaa). However, I have not gained any further knowledge from the book or inspiration- not that I'm awear of yet anyway. The ending was a bit of a let down also- not as exciting as i anticipated. She conquered over her master ....and yes, the story did refer to incest, true to Carter's other writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment