22 Mar 2011

Landon!


School trip to London today! We went to Somerset House to see their 'Pick Me Up' gallery, which was pretty damn awesome! Here's Somerset House's website with a list of the people who's work we viewed today

 And here's some photos i took of things that really made my eyes happy...

(Artists name...)
their site


(Their work)






She draws a lot of women, like me!




(I really like the use of bull dog clips to hang the images. Something simple and quirky about it!)




(Becker's above image can link to my puppet theme)



Seiko Kato

The pieces that she had up in the exhibition were of very intricately layered collage.


 Doll/ puppet?!

(The above image by Kato also makes me think of my own frame that I produced in the previous project)


 Below are other examples of Kato using collage. They are also examples of her own bird women!




On viewing Kato's site, she uses a lot of mediums such as ink and stitching too. Her ink lines hold a quality similar to my own style when I use only a dip pen (Possibly not totally obvious in the pics of my own sketches in here, as I've mainly used a brush pen so far).


 Kato
 Kato
 Kato
Kato


Kato

And three of my own...






Also i ckecked out a girls website, Zara Wood, who's work was in the exhibition. Found this ...


Its quite similar to the idea i had of using my images for a quilt, relating to the quote, I've made my bed, but I can choose to change the sheets...'



Some of us also went to see the Gallery that we will be using for our London show in Brick Lane in June. Looks impressive! Well done Kim for all the searching and organising!



This guy has his exhibition up in the gallery at the mo, we took a little look.







A giant stalk!!! Wonder how they managed to produce this! This caught my eye, not just because its HUGE, but because it relates to the info I read in Warner's 'From the Beast to the Blonde'. She discusses the links between a stalk and a mother figure. She also explains links to illustrations of women with webbed feet (or none human feet) to the devil in disguise.
This unknown artist has captured the feathers very well and the scale creates an atmosphere, making the bird appear threatening. (It probably would not have this effect if it were in a much smaller sketchbook).


....And me being a tourist!






Brought myself a portfolio and sleeves from London's Atlantis Art Materials on Hanbury Street. Was about 40 squid, but looks very smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment