13 Mar 2011

Busy Busy..

Friday 11th:
spoke to Salvatore in the morning. Got me worrying a bit! He liked my images, but reminded me that time is running out and he thinks that I'm planning to do too much possibly. He suggested that I should try to dive straight into the part of the project that excites me the most (like the doll idea). This is a weakness of mine that I identified in the 'review of my options project'. I like to work methodically and in a step by step kind of way, often setting myself alot of work to do. I think I also concentrate too much on showing a process or progression to the viewers through my images. ie. ill try to show an explanation of a stream of my thoughts through my images. I know what these thoughts are, I don't need to draw all of them. Although I enjoy drawing images of these thoughts, they are probably mainly for outsiders looking at my work. Its important that people understand the project, but this is what this pres doc will do. It's to support my work. Also I'm lingering on one idea/theme for too long. ie. I have drawn a few images of the crying girls. A few too many possibly. Again, I enjoyed drawing these. But I also think I have drawn a few versions to make sure viewers get a feeling of the loneliness of the story. This may cause a problem as I can end up running out of time, before I've fully got into the project, leaving me of a collection of images that are all very similar in content. I will review the images that I wish to draw, and narrow them down to the most significant ones. I will also attempt to move on more quickly this week. I'm keen to get onto the main ideas for my project so I can begin to explore them in more depth, giving me time to hopefully produce images I can't fore see yet. I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump straight to these main ideas yet. But I agree with Sal, that it has to be very soon. Especially if I'm considering the use of stitch in my work, I need time to experiment with this and I also need time to experiment with etching before committing to a final design process. Although the talk with Sal made me panic, this blog shows that it will be very helpful and important in the long run!




Talking of etching, after the talk with Sal, I continued with the aqutint process. Disappointingly, I still haven't completed a first print of this. The print room was very busy, Charles also had a screen printing work shop with the first years. Understandably, I had to wait a while to get started and and wait in between stages to be shown the next step. I managed to get to the stage of varnishing areas I want to be highlighted and then dropping the plate into acid. But this is where I had to finish with the etching for the day; the print room was then closed for lunch and I then had a CV work shop scheduled for the rest of the day. Ill have to go back again on the Thurs or Fri to print this new image.
What concerns me about using etching for my final pieces now, is that Charles says that adding  aquintint to images of faces can be difficult to do effectively. At the moment a lot of my sketch book work are of faces....




After lunch Jonny helped me again with an image for my portfolio. I wanted to use a large image of shoes as a double page spread (as previously mentioned) to vary the pages. The image was too large to scan as a whole piece, so Jonny showed me how to lay out and join the two halves together.



I'm concerned that the choice of colour of my pages is too girly. My work is feminine, but I'm not sure if emphasising this through colour will put people off. I've created another version of this image in a mint green (which wont upload). Its still a soft pastel colour but perhaps less obvious. I will have to ask someone's opinion of this.


C.V:
still needs a bit of work! I need to change the layout of this to look more professional and I need to add in more information such as about me, and perhaps info on my recent work experience in different schools. I also had chance to show Alexandra this blog; I was worried I waffle on too much and that my posts were too long. But she thinks I write my posts well. I think I just need to continue adding images to break up the text. I
also talked about printing this blog as it reads backwards (my first post is read last). I cant see how to switch this round so that when my blog uploads, viewers read it in chronological order. Think that when it comes to it, I may have to open up each post, in order and print them individually, which unfortunately will take up more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment