17 Mar 2011

Book Binding

Had a book binding workshop with Katherine today. She showed us how to make a few folded books to the more complex stab- bound book. Learning the process was good, although my books were not very neatly made in the end. Not bad for the first go though, and we did get through the day quite quickly, so there wasn't much time to be really neat with folding. The emphasis was on understanding the methods. I signed up for this workshop because I'm not 100% sure of what my final outcome will be for the FMP. I want to keep an open mind, just in case, and thought this might come in useful, if not now, then surely in the future at least.


Folded books





hard back book bound with thread












I spoke to Derek. Was helpful, but also slightly confusing in away as he gave me more things to think about for final outcomes...
He liked the idea of etchings and thought they'd work well with the way I work, but told me to take it into consideration  that etching equipment  will be less available to me once I've left uni. So this may put me off choosing a method I cant keep working with.
He also liked the stitching ideas (ie stitching onto a small wedding type dress) I had and suggested that I could perhaps gets some photogrames out of these too.
He then suggested that I consider including text alongside my image, such as quotes from the 'Burning in Your Boots book', other Carter stories or quotes from other pieces of research I've collected. I do agree with this as it will emphasise my back ground knowledge, and make my images more understandable and significant.. This then lead to thoughts of making my own book of images and considering sequence more carefully. Producing a book was something I wasn't very interested in initially, but Derek said this could just be a very rough dummy book, just to get an idea or see if it produces any other ideas.  (I was actually considering including a quick, small flip book of a girl crying on the planted branches. This would show the branch growing into the wishing tree.) The book idea then lead to thoughts of some sort of digital book that may even just consist of slides of images and text in a sequence. Hmmmm think I just need to keep going at the mo and bear all these in mind, until it becomes clear what would work best for my project.

Derek suggested looking at....
V & A exhibition photographs without cameras (which includes some images using dresses)

Meret Oppenheim
Linder Sterling- Buzzcocks 7" single. Cover: 'Orgasm Addict'. 'Ludus'.












I really like Sterling's images with the ripped magazine images against her face. I like the concept and how the over all image looks. It can also be connected the the Russian doll image in the sense that, like a Russian doll, the image has a line running through it where the two halves don't exactly match up.









I Slotted in an hour or two in the print room after the workshop too. I've now covered all the areas of my plate in varnish at different stages. It is now ready to print tomorrow. I must admit, I don't really understand how this stage of the process works, but I know it will be clear once I've finished printing the first one. 



Adding more layers of varnish, to produce different tones.







Tiredddd!

No comments:

Post a Comment