31 Mar 2011

A day of photos, photoshop and walls...

Busy day today. To begin with, we had a one day project for our 'identity' theme for the catalogue. The idea was to come in with images, ideas, or drawing materials, so that everyone can add a piece to the wall by the end of the day. I took in a few books, such as, a book on Paula Rego, a Vouge magazine and a children's fairy tale book to scan in to show some of my influences over the three years. I also took in some examples of Stina Persson's illustrations, as I've admired her work for a good few years now and I scanned in a couple of images from my sketchbooks. 
(Section from our wall)






I'm wondering how successful this wall will be however. I think photographed sections from the wall are being used throughout the catalogue, but I also heard Pete saying that the image will be wrapped around the cover of the catalogue. It was a good plan, but on seeing the completed wall, I'm now not so sure. It may end up looking like a random miss match of scraps. I think the wall may need to be added to still, and layered over if this is what were going for, or the current pieces need to be re positioned and more organised. I think that at the moment its in the middle of both. It may still look good if to use it within the catalogue,but maybe the usual black, embossed cover would look more professional?


We then had our individual and group photographs taken for the catalogue. Looking forward to seeing these!


And afterwards, I went back to sorting out my catalogue images. Took soo long! Really disliking photoshop at the moment! Don't really know what I'm doing with it. But I sorted out the images, changed the lion image slightly, which was an improvement, and got them into Louise on time. Job done. Thank God! Well actually not quite done it seems...we now need to write a bit about our work and send off our contact details to go alongside the images, but that shouldn't be too hard...



I chose these two images above for the catalogue as they were, at the time, my most recent images which, I believe, portrays my style as suggestive and narrative. I also hope that they are good examples to show my drawing skills and like for mark making.






sketch book up dates:



Here I was just considering what Jonny and Louise mentioned about indicating a scene/ setting or class of wealth. 
I also had the idea in my head of adding a male face, that is of a larger scale than the house, and is either looking through a window, holding the house in his hands, or dangling the house on puppet strings. This was to portray the idea that the father, though not really mentioned in the story, is a significant character. His is the reason behind all events which make up the story. In away, he is causing the actions of the mothers, who in turn determine Ashputtle's actions. 



Again, above I was thinking about things that maybe inside the families wealth, and that I could include in my images to relate to the story and the symbolism of fire/ ash.




Derek's scan



No comments:

Post a Comment