9 Mar 2011

continuing

I had my second portfolio tutorial with Jonny yesterday. I'm getting the hang of using layers and features that he showed me now . I think I have a few pages that I'm happy with and Jonny seemed to like them. Its quite hard to predict how well they will work together in a portfolio at the mo though. I continued to work on my images in photoshop until the computer room was reserved but I still have a bit more to do. Here's some examples of what may be included within my portfolio...






So far this week, I've continued to draw images based on the relationship or rivalry between women. I have tried to create tension within these images.










I quite like to refer to the step sisters as almost identical as they seem to be describe as a pack, they come together as one, they almost have the same identity. I haven't portrayed the sisters as 'ugly' as I feel this would be expected. Also, many versions of the Cinderella story describe the sisters as pretty, but just not as physically beautiful as Cinderella (Ashputtle). It is the sisters attitude that has lead them to be portrayed as ugly. ' ..beautiful and fair of face, but vile and black of heart'. I do not want to give the sisters (or Ashputtle and stepmother, in fact) any distinguishing features such as being noticeably ugly. This is because I want viewers to be aware that the rivalry between women can be applied to many people and to many situations. Such as between mother and new daughter in law, wife and mistress, siblings, friends and boyfriends, daughter and step daughter ect. Many of these 'falling outs' are based around a man. Women are jealous, suspicious and bitchy. By portraying the step-family as physically attractive, I hope to also hint at the stereotyped character of a pretty, spoilt, but powerful and mean persona. I also hope this will hint at the rivalry between women in terms of appearances. Women want other women, as well as men to admire their appearance.They are always seeking improvements. This is depicted within versions of the Cinderella story, when the sisters starve themselves for two days before the ball, and strap themselves as tightly as they can, into their corsets. Women want to be the most attractive and envy the woman that out does them. My ideas are for my images to refer to the media and fashion world, where rivalry is high and where striving for physical 'perfection' becomes a job.


I have also focused on Ashputtle's loneliness and sorrow. I have drawn her with weeping eyes. As I previously explained, her tears are an important part of the story. The crying girls remain attractive here as I want to portray the idea that fairy tale women (and now the idea that modern day women are to ) remain intact no matter what situation they are faced with. They are perfect. They are unrealistic. The fact that the girl's expressions do not seem to alter, tears just silently stream down their faces, again leads me to think of women as little dolls. 















I have also portrayed Ashenputtle with dark ash growing up her legs as if she is rooted to the ground. I'm trying to refer to Cater's description that Ashputtle is a burned child. She is wounded by her mothers death in many ways. By suggesting that she is rooted to the spot , shows again the link to her mother (now buried). It also reflects her unmoveable position at this time in the story. She is stuck in a repetitive routine which in turn, keeps her to her endless mourning. 






I have continued to use watered down ink, particularly blue, as I feel water is a significant theme. (Ashputtle's tears, the idea of Ashputtle washing herself clean of her ash in order to transform, and links to the fish that Cinderella befriends in traditional Chines stories.)

No comments:

Post a Comment