28 Mar 2011

Degree show presentation workshop

Today Pete showed us a few methods to hanging our work when it comes to the show. He showed us examples using magnets, bulldog clips, fishing wire,  frames (using the floating method) and using mount board. Its actually made me feel more relaxed when I think about how I'll frame my work. The methods were a lot easier/ simpler and less time consuming than I first thought, yet they are all very effective. Initially, I thought I would use frames to hang my work, not for any particular reason. But after this workshop, I quite like the magnet method. Its very clean and minimalist so it doesn't detract from the work.




More sketchbook stuff...






This image was again experimenting with shadow and suggestion. The girl is trying on the shoes. At the moment, it is unclear whether the girl is Ashputtle or one of the sisters. But I actually quite like it being this way as who ever the girl is, the outcome isn't good either way. If it is the step sisters, the step mum will realise that the shoes do not fit them and she will cut their feet until they do fit. If it is Ashputtle, her mum will encourage her to put her feet into the bloody shoes and marry the prince, 'escaping one kind of sexual ordeal for another. Out of the woods, into the kitchen and the bedroom' (Warner, 'From The Beast to the Blonde'.) The image will include the shadow of the step mother across the girl, and a bird (symbolising Ashputtle's mother, will be watching from the window.) I don't want to illustrate the actual cutting of the feet, because I think this will be giving too much away. I want to build suspense and atmosphere and I want viewers to imagine the cutting for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment