2 May 2011

Catch up

(Where to start?...)


Mon:
Finnished coming up with my 3rd plate design. 






Quite a bit of symbolism in this one too, I had the idea for this fireplace based image for a while (as u can see from my earlier sketchbook images).
















The fireplace represents Ahputtle as a 'burned child', which is what Carter refers to her as in her story. (Hence the name 'Ash-putle' and Disney's version of 'Cinder-ella'). I've explained this a bit before in this blog when i've talked about my fire place sketches. Basically it symbolises Ashputtle's mourning for her mother and for her own status change. I've shown a puppet girl (Ashputtle) being dangled above the firepace by her two mothers. This is because they control her and it is their actions which shape the girl's future. I have again played on the weirdness in this image, as the mothers; who hold Ashputtle's strings, are represented by Victorian styled, silhouette photos in frames above the mantelpiece. It's obviously not possible for the mothers hands to come alive and move out of the picture frames. But this can relate to the magic included within fairytale stories, such as how the mother can return to her daughter as a wish-granting-fish or a 'helpful' bird. Ashputtle's birth mother's silhouette appears as a bird in the image. The dad is also included. His photo hangs above the mother's as he is the head of the house and although the mothers are controlling their daughters, they them selves can be seen as under his control as they are fighting for his love. Carter describes the father as "the unseen organising principle, like God...without the absent father there would be no story because there would have been no conflict." I have composed the image as if you are viewing the fireplace from below. I wanted it to feel overbearing and menacing. I will also achieve this by using shadow towards the top of the image. I've included figures within the decoration of the fireplace. I wanted to use it to help to hint at the story. There is a pair of hands holding a clock. Although time is not mentioned within Carters version, it is an important aspect in Disney's Cinderella, so I wanted to use this. It can however hint at the journey Ashputtle goes through and to how although sexism against women has improved since the period of 'Cinderella', something's still aren't even. Below the clock, is a woman. It appears as if she is crying, but by putting a bird sat on an eyeball either side of her, I hope this raises questions whether she is crying tears or blood. This refres to a part of the tale where birds peck out the step mother and sisters eyes as punishment for there behaviour. I was considering using this as a final image in its self, but felt it was too obvious. So I decided to include it with the decoration of the fireplace, as it is only something to be noticed on a closer look. I wanted it to link back to Carter's (and other fairytale's) gruesome nature. I enjoy the fact that fairytales aren't as nice as they appear! There is also a pregnant woman. Her belly is a cage. This is to symbolise the idea of women not taking action to 'free' themselves. How some women fit into stereotypical roles, and this continues over generations. I think this has probably been inspired by reading Greer's 'The Female Eunuch' for my dissertation. But also from a section of Carter's story; 
'The dead woman gave her a red dress.
'I had it when I was your age'.
The girl put the red dress on.
The dead woman took worms from her eye sockets; they turned into jewels. The  girl put on a diamond ring.
I had it when I was your age.'
They went to the grave.
'Step into my coffin.
'No', said the girl she shuddered.
'I stepped into my mother's coffin when I was your age.
The girl stepped into the coffin although she thought it would be the death of her.'

(It is this quote that has also inspired my dress idea- stitching images into a wedding style dress with red thread. This is because many of Carter's story's compare marriage to the death of a woman. Such as in 'The Magic Toy Shop', the aunt, who was once lively, lost her voice and became 'dumb' once she married and became controlled by her husband. Also within the 'Bloody Chamber', there are references to this theme as the husband, who murdered his previous three wives, remarries a young girl, planning to do the same. It is also referred to in Warner's 'From the Beast to the Blonde' book, 'The heroin escapes one type of sexual ordeal for another, finds her way out of the woods into the kitchen and the bedroom'. )

Finally there is a hunter with a shot gun. This is the father. In fairytales it is often thought that father's are absent from stories as they are out hunting while the women of the family stay about the home (Bruno Bettleheim). I have represented the father as a hunter (a killer) due to his cold representation. He has the ability to put a stop to his daughter's (Ashputtle's) abuse. He does not. He seems to be oblivious or uninterested in what is occurring. He is also absent when his first wife (Ashputtle's mum) is on her deathbed. We are lead to believe he is uncaring. Within my image, the hunter is aiming his gun towards the birds above him. But it is important to remember that, within the story, his first wife returns as a bird. I hope to suggest that he could be shooting at his own wife. Oh one more thing, I remembered that above the fireplace I included three candlesticks that appear below the picture frames. The two below the mother's images are burning fast while the one below the father remains unlit. This is to show the absence of the father compared to the passion and competition of the mothers. Whoaa essay! 




Last weekend, when i was at the boyfriend's, I collected some branches and feathers from the forest to use on my next plates. I want the texture of something different now. Felt a bit of an idiot walking back with them though. Said boyfriend did not help with this.







Ps. I do not kill birds. Just happened to find a lot of feathers!

No comments:

Post a Comment