10 May 2011

aquatint done!

Mon:


Here's a plan to show where our individual spaces will be at the degree show.





That's me! (In the corner)


I've now aquatinted my third plate, and started to stop out the individual areas of tone. I apply varnish to the whitest area of my design first. I then put the plate into the acid bath for a desired amount of time ( in this case 10 seconds), depending on how dark I want my next tone to be. (The longer I leave my plate in the acid at this stage, the darker the next tone will be)





(I like to work with all my references- such the etching work of those I've mentioned in this blog - sketches, ink washed drawings ect around me)




After 10 seconds in the acid bath, I move the plate straight into a water bath to stop the acid biting into the plate any more., My plate can now be dried and I can start stopping out, then etching the second lightest tones. (which I started today- Tuesday)


I had a presentation document tutorial with Alexandria today too. This blog has to be handed in on Friday! She got me thinking about all the reasons to why I might be doing the work I am now. I realise now how long ago my interests now started. Like, in Alevels I chose to write an essay on Botticelli. I was really into his work at the time. I liked all the symbolism he used, and random elements within his paintings made me wonder why he included them. I also realise now that I did a shadow project in A levels too, because I liked the tension and mystery shadows in paintings created.




Tues:
 Carried on aquatinting (only managed to get my first tone done yesterday due to the tutorial and closing times.)




 ..And again..repeat the process for the 3rd tone. I hope this shows why my plates takes take so long to prepare.



This is my plate at the end of the aquatint process. I am just about to put the plate into the acid to etch the last tone. Throughout the process, I left the plate for longer and longer at each stage (10 secs, 10 secs, 20 secs, 40 secs 50 secs, 80 secs, 120 secs 240 secs ect- according to my tone chart- quite scientific really!)





No comments:

Post a Comment