7 Feb 2011

Reading....

After my last post, I started to read Carter's 'Nights At The Circus'. I have paused halfway through the book because nothing has jumped out at me so far. There are aspects of the story that interest me, but I am aware that time is moving on quickly. I thought I would be managing my time better if I were to start reading another book, to see if that inspires me more so. Then I can continue with 'Nights At The Circus' if necessary. 






So I began to read Carter's 'Burning In Your Boots', a collection of lots of short stories which I have now finnished. I found the book strangely interesting. But sections of the book were too vulgar for me, such as stories concerning themes of rape or aspects of paedophilia. This is not the direction I wont my FMP to head in! However, towards the end of the book, I read the story of 'Ashputtle'. This consists of Carter's three versions of the story which seem to be inspired by the story of 'Cinderella'. This story not only provides interesting imagery for my project, but I would also be able to link ideas of women being manipulated like dolls and of women's interests in material goods. These were ideas that I  initially wanted to explore for my project.






Other stories within the book that interested me were;

  • The Executioner's Beautiful Daughter,
  • The Loves of Lady Purple,
  • Master,
  • Black Venus,



I am also considering exploring the idea of women taking their revenge upon their men, as Carter often writes about.


I would still like to continue reading other Carter books as my project continues. Other books that will be useful to me are, Marina Warner's, From the Beast To The Blonde, and possibly Bruno Bettelhelm's The Uses Of Enchantment. A useful website is http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment