8 Feb 2011

Head Full Of Thoughts..

Last night, while trying to sleep a had a series of thoughts about what I could do for this next project;
  • turn my sketches into stitched images- in relation to the time period of fairytales and to stereotypical jobs/ hobbies these women would under go, ie. making the families clothes, stitching up holes in these clothes, house work...
  • stitch these individual fabric images together, creating what resembles a patch work quilt.
  • A quilt symbolises series of events/ a journey/ visits/ experiences. This could be the journey through my project, and of the journey that the women within my project have taken.
This was only a brief thought but was made more valued after today's talk with Alexandra about our pres docs ....

(My notes from the pres doc meeting)



Alexandra was talking more about the personal style of our pres docs. I began to wonder if my current pres doc, (this blog) is the best way to represent my project. While Alex was talking, I felt it needed to be more creative.

ideas for my pres doc (based on last nights thoughts about the quilt) :
  • make a fabric / stitched book format
  • stitch writing onto fabric to make diary pages.
  • Make a stitched patchwork quilt of individual, fabric, diary entries.
  • stick printed entries, scans ect into an already made text book, to resemble my own fairytale story pres doc book.
However I think some of these may be too ambitious (especially stitching the words of my entries- that's almost impossible). I don't wont to take too much time away from my actual project. I also quite like the organisation of this blog, the easy access I have to it, and the fact that I can edit and add to it easily and neatly....So I began to re think....
I'm now considering, keeping this blog but customising it to relate to my practical work, such as customising the background, the buttons on this blog, ect (if I can work it out!). I thought that I could then print these pages out and stitch them onto fabric and bind the book together using a sewing machine. Or stitching them onto a patchwork quilt. (If I still wish to do this)
This could also compare modern technology to connotations of stitch work. Thus linking modern women to dated representations of fairytale women.

Another link can be made from the quote, 'you made your bed, now you have to lie in it.'...I cant remember where I read this addition to the quote... ' you made your bed, now you have to lie in it...but I can choose to change the sheets!'. I may have read it within a Carter book. But this makes further links to my project and themes of the quilt, Adam and Eve and a woman's destiny.




Pres Doc Timetable




Wk 1.
24th Jan
Mon: Launch of pres doc. Set up blog. Begin entries
Wk 2.
31st Jan
Continue entries
Wk 3.
07th Feb
Tues 8th: Presentation draft
Wk 4.
14th Feb
Tues 15th: Portfolio tutorial 12:15
Fri 18th: lecture 11-1:00
Wk 5.
21st Feb


Have self promo finished by end of week
Wk 6.
28th Feb
Send off self promo no later than Mon 28th


Wk 7.
07th March
Fri 11th C.V workshop 10.00-1.00
Wk. 8
14th March
(Have blog customised with my own style by end of week)

(Begin experimenting with binding blog pages together/ stitching pages onto fabric ect. Ready to discuss with tutors)


Wk. 9
21st March
Wed 23rd and Fri 25th: Individual tutorials.


Wk. 10
28th March

Wk. 11
Easter
Begin checking/ editing/ printing first 2-4 weeks of entries. Begin preparing these pages for final hand in
Wk.12
Easter
Begin checking/ editing/ printing weeks 5-8 of entries. Begin preparing these pages for final hand in
Wk. 13
Easter
Begin checking/ editing/ printing weeks 9-12 of entries. Begin preparing these pages for final hand in
Wk. 14
25th April
Begin checking/ editing/ printing week 13 of entries. Begin preparing these pages for final hand in
Tues 26th: Group assessments 11.30-2.30
Wk. 15
02 May
prepare week 14 of entries
Wk. 16
09th May
Mon: final tutorials
Prepare week 15 + 16 of entries.
Friday: Hand in pres doc.

Wk. 17
16th May
Last two weeks of major project
Wk. 18
23rd May
“                                                  (finish Mon 30th).

No comments:

Post a Comment