28 Jan 2011

One Day Project : Identity...

On Tuesday 25th, the 3rd years gathered together to brainstorm ideas for the theme of our exhibition. Ideas were based around the university and the city of Southampton, particularly the docks :
Art School, 130 years,
Nautical, the sea,
Compass, travel, cruise ship, import and export, docks, containers
MOUSTACHE! (inspired by our very own Peter Lloyd!) - Victorians,
B movie poster- theatrical.


After a few hours of sketching we agreed (sort of) on the idea of making a small theatrical stage for a show. Within this stage we can place various back drops, such as of the docks and produce a series of scenarios. I think that we are heading in in the direction of suggesting a theatrical/ circus/ freak show theme! This allows groups of people from the course to select sections of the show to work on, such as the tickets to the show (both the degree show and the 'theatre show'), the stage, the boat to link to the dock, the posters, and so on.
The idea put forward so far, is that each student will choose a character from the show to draw from in their own unique style. They will then insert an appropriate (or not so appropriate, depending on the character) head shot of themselves onto their character. Eg Im tempted to go for the puppeteer and puppet, which relates to themes of my project, or the contortionist....just for comedy value!. To me this seems an exciting project however as it is quite a big production, we agreed to have more meetings concerning this to make sure everyone is happy and to check its working successfully. I am in the group creating the stage, so for now my jobs are to consider the lettering, the decorative top of the theatre curtains, and my characters. I wont put to much time into this just yet though, as all may change.


I haven't had much reading time so far...Im currently applying for university this following year. However its taking a while to complete the application. I'm trying to finish this before things really get going on the FMP. Almost finished though...hope to spend the last couple of hours on it after the lecture tomorrow.


After the trial of my last, and first, blog below, I've decided that I will keep this format of entry for my presentation blog. So I hope to post something of interest daily :).





No comments:

Post a Comment