22 Jan 2011

About me

Hey! I am an illustration student currently in my third year studying at Southampton Solent University. Through university, i have been influenced by feminist theory and the darker side to fairytale and folklore. Therefore, I have chosen a project that is based on Angela Carter's story, 'Ashputtle, Or the Mother Ghost'. Carter's story is based on the Brother Grimms 'Cinderella' story. Carter often explores the darker side to fairytales. I wanted to reflect this within my imagery, using shadow and suggestion to create an uneasy atmosphere.


I became interested in researching the symbolism and true meaning behind fairytales after a second year project based on this theme. I had not been aware of this sinister side and enjoyed looking further. 


Through the use of this blog, I realised that I have been interested in the meaning behind images since my A Levels. It was during this time that I remember researching Botticelli's work. I was interested in the reasons to why he included certain element within his work. For example, using bees to refer to a family that he worked for (Vespe family= vespe= bees). 
His work was like a puzzle and encouraged me to think about them after viewing them. 


This blog has also reminded me of a 'shadow' project a was given for my As exam work. This theme was one of about five. We were then able to chose which theme we wanted to work on. I didn't realise this before writing my blog, but i have been interested in this theme since (as I have now chosen to use a similar theme). I have discovered that I also enjoy images that use suggestion or have an uneasy or mysterious atmosphere to them. Again this is because they make me wonder what is going on in the picture.


At university, I gained knowledge of art history through university lectures. I chose to study Art History at As Level. I enjoy learning about art as much as I enjoy making it. During lectures, I specifically enjoyed classes on semiotics.


All these influences including knowledge that I have gained from my 'gender and sexuality' dissertation,  have encouraged me to produce my own work which I hope leaves viewers questioning and looking further into my images.

No comments:

Post a Comment